I know Michelle already wrote a post about this week's episode of The X Factor but I have a lot of thoughts on the show and I'm thinking of making this a weekly thing. Of course, being Canadian means I can't vote and I can't sing to save my life but that's not going to stop me! I'm liking the addition of announcing the rankings each week. It'll be interesting to see if it affects the voting in the coming weeks. I also may have watched One Direction's performances on results night 3 or 4 times...and I may have been singing along each time. I can't help it, they're adorable! But enough about the puppy-faced Liam or the baby-faced Niall, on to the contestants!



1. Tate Stevens - Dead or Alive
I'm both surprised and not surprised that he was ranked first this week. I'm not surprised because I know how much Americans love their country music (e.g. Scotty McCreery winning American Idol). I just wasn't expecting Tate to get that many fans so quick. His version of "Dead or Alive" wasn't anything spectacular but country music is more about authenticity than the voice anyway. If he can continue bringing that southern charm and get people to fall in love with his hard-working, family man persona I'm thinking he's going to get pretty far. There's not a lot of white dudes in this competition either...


2. Carly Rose Sonenclar - It Will Rain
I don't understand the hype for this girl. She's a 13 year old girl who acts like a 30 year old. I'm not denying that she has an incredible voice, I'm just not sure what kind of artist she can be. I don't find her relatable and she seems pretty dull.


3. Vino Alan - When A Man Loves A Woman
I'm so happy that Vino was ranked in the Top 3! I loved his rendition of the song and couldn't help but fall slightly in love with him. Simon's suggestion for Vino to sing soul music was the best advice since LA Reid clearly had no idea what to do with Vino after last week's Nickelback disaster. I'm worried that "When A Man Loves A Woman" will be his best performance and it'll go downhill from here but we'll see. And Vino, please always wear a hat or the hat and bandana combo is pretty hot too. I'm worried your head tattoos will scare the children and scare away the votes.


4. Diamond White - I Have Nothing
This was not her strongest performance despite the ranking. When she's not singing, Diamond's got the perfect Disney star personality but she looks more comfortable singing songs that were released before she was even born. If she were 5 years older, I'd be cool with her song choices but as a 13 year old, I don't know if she can become a successful artist this way. The young'uns like the fun, poppy dance hits. Maybe she can channel Willow Smith but with a stronger voice.


5. Fifth Harmony - A Thousand Years
Thank God for the name change because 1432 was the stupidest name ever. I wanted them out last week based solely on their name. I'm not a fan of them passing each verse to a different girl. What's the point of being a group if you're not going to sing together? That being said, I think they did a better job with the harmonies this week. It sounds really pretty when they all sing together. I don't know how successful a girl group can be post X Factor though. The only one I can really think of is Destiny's Child and that was a long time ago. I think girl groups are more popular in the UK.



6. Emblem 3 - My Girl & California Gurls Mashup
I was pleasantly surprised to see them ranked 6th. They're not as popular as you thought they would be Simon! *evil laugh* These boys annoy the heck out of me. You would think I would be a fan since I'm all for the rapping + singing combo like Down With Webster's style but Emblem 3 is not as talented as they think they are and they're not as good-looking as they think they are either. The over confidence is a turn off for me. And sly move Simon Cowell putting in One Direction music in the background. Are you trying to send a subliminal message to get people to vote?


7. Jennel Garcia - I Love Rock N' Roll
I used to love Jennel. I'm all for the rocker chick and I like her voice but the styling, oh God, the STYLING! It's just so obvious and expected. I liked when Jennel looked carefree and innocent and then she would shock you with her sexy stage presence. Now when she steps on stage and sings rock, it's like "of course" and it's not as shocking anymore. Can you please get rid of the bangs and lighten your hair colour please?


8. Paige Thomas - Take My Breath Away
Out of everyone, I think she's the one that looks the most like a current artist. I love the theatrics of her performances and it's exciting to see what she's going to do each week and what she's going to be wearing. However, I think the stage sets and her outfits are outshining her voice. Her vocals are sounding a bit weak. She needs a big, memorable vocal moment next week or try to do something more creative with the song arrangements.


9. Lyric 145 - Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
I'm not usually a fan of rap but I do love seeing what Lyric 145 are going to sing each week. Lyriq da Queen is clearly a star and she's got creativity and balls for choosing this song. I thought they would be ranked higher but I'm thinking their performances may be turning off some of the American viewers. Everything about it is very overstimulating and in-your-face - their outfits, the crazy screens behind them, and all the dancers on the stage. It's like a giant mess of lights and colour on stage but they somehow make it work for me.



10. Beatrice Miller - Iris
I really like Beatrice and out of all the girls in Britney's team, she's my favourite. This week though just wasn't working for me. I still love the tone of her voice but "Iris" was such a boring, overdone song choice and her outfit looked like it added an extra 10 pounds. I'm hoping this was just an off day because her vocal cords were slightly damaged.


11. Arin Ray - American Boy
I'm honestly shocked that Arin was ranked so low. I really liked his performance and the song choice. It looked like something Justin Bieber would perform. And Arin is cute! Why aren't the girls voting for him? Last week, I was saying that he needed to learn to dance and this week he showed off some moves! He's got some swag and I'm ready for someone to take over Chris Brown and kick him off the charts.


12. CeCe Frey - Eye of the Tiger
I think Demi is sabotaging CeCe. The song choices for her have been terrible! CeCe already has the unfortunate editing of making her out like a bitch. These dance routines are not helping her look any better. I get the kind of artist she wants to be but I think she needs a week where she does something that shows her vulnerable side and her strong voice. She can sing! She's just not showing it off when it matters.


13. ELIMINATED - Jason Brock - I Believe I Can Fly
He seemed like a nice guy but there was no way he could have ever won. Every time I saw him I pictured him performing on a cruise ship. Sorry buddy. I will forever love him for asking Mario Lopez if he could pinch his butt though hahahaha.


One Comment

  1. I pretty much agree with you on most of the contestants actually! We are kinda opposite for Emblem 3, although I can see why they can be annoying. I too, will forever love Jason Brock for asking Mario Lopez if he could pinch his butt LMFAO!

    ReplyDelete