The idea for this post came to me in a dream. I take dreams seriously. So in alphabetical order, here are my ten favorite title sequences ever:

1. Dawson's Creek - specifically season two
Look how young and cute they are! They're just chilling on the beach, goofing off, nbd. And that song! Whenever I hear Paula Cole's I Don't Want to Wait on the radio (almost exclusively on easy rock stations), I just can't help but sing along.

2. Dexter - link
The concept was just too clever and it was executed perfectly. I don't even have anything more to say about it. I think it speaks for itself.

3. Freaks and Geeks - link
It introduced viewers to the characters in a funny way. And the show didn't last long enough for the opening to get annoying and repetitive...

4. Friends - especially the uncut version
The song is epic and generation-defining. That's all I have to say about that. But you mix that song with the cast just playing around by a fountain, and it just becomes something so much better. The setting is simple and there are no fancy camera tricks, but seeing the cast just having fun pretty much lets me know to get ready for half an hour of awesome.

5. Game of Thrones - Emmy-winning
I just think the intricacy with which they made this title sequence goes beyond what to expect for television. They basically map out all the lands and features of the GoT world, in a trippy Inception-y way. The Emmy was well-deserved.

6. Modern Family - link
I'm not sure this counts as a title sequence but I make my own rules. Short and sweet but to the point. Three families, all interwoven together to make this one big family. Bonus points for having it under fifteen seconds so my ADD doesn't kick in.

7. Parenthood - awww
Using baby/young pictures of the actors? You'd think they really were one big family. Just so much cute-ness in this opening sequence.

8. Shameless - US version
Get to know the family and have a laugh at the same time. And the song fits in pretty well.

9. The Simpsons - no link because if you haven't seen it, shame on you
I don't even watch The Simpsons but it might possibly be the most iconic title sequence of all time. Or at the very least, for this generation. The original version is funny on its own, but the different versions and different couch scenes at the end make it so much better.

10. Weeds - little boxes
The song plus the opening sequence convey the feeling of suburbia. Everything's the same. Perfect start to this show. And I like how the actual title "Weeds" is shown in a different way every episode.


2 Comments

  1. How did it come as a dream?? lol
    I miss Little Boxes on Weeds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my dream, I was coming up with my top ten title sequences lol.

    ReplyDelete