It's that time of the year again! TV junkies all over the world are faced with one big question: Which new shows do I keep and which ones should I kick to the curb? I don't usually give many first-year shows a try. I wait to hear comments from other people after about halfway through the season. So it's a little surprising that I've started three new shows this year already. Although that doesn't mean all three shows will survive...

Go On
I admit that this won't be a fair assessment of this show. I've always had a soft spot for Matthew Perry ever since falling in love with Chandler from Friends. After that, I watched Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip and Mr. Sunshine - anything to support Matthew Perry. Go On is about radio personality Ryan King, who recently lost his wife. To deal with his grief, he joins a support group filled with wacky personalities. At first, the characters might seem a little crazy and over-the-top, but the more you get to know them, the funnier and less crazy they get.
Verdict: Keep for now. But don't get too attached because Matthew Perry shows all die anyway.

The Mindy Project
Unlike Kelly, I don't  watch The Office and I haven't read Mindy Kaling's book. But I know she's funny, so I gave The Mindy Project a shot. I thought Mindy was cute and quirky. And my favourite scene so far was when she was doing voice-overs on the subway (episode 2). In fact, after the second episode, I was ready to put The Mindy Project near the top of my list. And then episode three happened. You'd think that I would be easily seduced by cameos by three legit NBA players, but that just wasn't enough for me. In my opinion, the episode just fell flat, and didn't really distinguish itself from all the other half-hour sitcoms on tv.
Verdict: On slippery ice.

The Mob Doctor
The Mob Doctor is about a doctor who's indebted to the mob. I started to watch this show because I thought the premise seemed interesting. And Zach Gilford is in it. There's not much I can say about this show though. To me, it just felt like a repetitive cycle of: the mob needs some help from the doctor, the doctor's conscience eats at her, the mob reminds her that she owes them. And then she either just follows through with the order or finds a way to appease her conscience somehow. Maybe it gets/will get better, but I didn't stay long enough to find out.
Verdict: Dropped after two episodes.


Leave a Reply