There's a lot of half-hour sitcoms on TV these days. There's the ones that manage to catch large audiences, like The Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men (which I have never watched a full episode of), 30 Rock, and The Office (back in the Steve Carrell days). And then there's the comedies that may not have the high viewership numbers but have a strong following online like Community, Parks and Recreation, and Happy Endings. And then there's the lesser known comedies that I want to take a moment to shine a spotlight on - the ones that don't get a lot of attention but manage to slide under the radar and stay on air. They're perfect for those lazy days when I have nothing to watch and I'm looking for something entertaining.


Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23 - Tuesdays at 9:30pm on ABC
Okay, I admit, when I first heard about this show last year I thought it sounded incredibly stupid and the commercials featuring Krysten Ritter didn't help either since she came off as highly annoying. And then I found out that James Van Der Beek plays himself in it and I decided to give it a shot. I ended up watching every single episode. It's been known to happen with me. I like that it's a light show that doesn't take itself too seriously. I'm still waiting for a Dawson's Creek reunion to happen on the show. One day!


Suburgatory - Wednesdays at 9:30pm on ABC (8:30pm on CityTV for Canada)
This is another series that I marathoned when I ran out of shows to watch. It's not the funniest show but it's consistently good. Having a few alumni from Saturday Night Live helps too. And there was a Clueless reunion last season with Alicia Silverstone and Jeremy Sisto!


Guys with Kids - Wednesdays at 8:30pm on NBC
When I was deciding what new shows to watch this season, Guys With Kids didn't make my cut. Fast forward to a few nights ago when I was lying in bed with my iPad looking for a show to watch before falling asleep. I wanted something fun (ie. no heavy dramas) and I've always liked Jesse Bradford since the good ol' Bring It On days so I decided to give the show a shot. I ended up watching all the episodes. There's a trend with me and these comedies if you haven't noticed. I didn't realize that Guys With Kids was co-created by Jimmy Fallon, who I love (random fact: we share birthdays!). I like that the premise of the show is simple, it's just 3 guy friends living in the same building with their kids and their wives. It reminds me a bit of comedies from the past like Friends and Seinfeld. It's good friends and good laughs. What more do you need in a comedy? Please watch it so it doesn't get cancelled!


3 Comments

  1. Hello, I was checking my website (ringo-ish.org) stats, and I noticed that you're hotlinking the Suburgatory picture from my server. I don't have a problem with you using it, as it's not mine, however, I'd like to ask you to save it to your server and link it from there, cause right now, as it is it's consuming my bandwidth with the traffic on your site.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete